Well, that didn’t take long! In the time since my last post, I sat through another hour at work, sat in traffic for a half hour and devoured a mitt full of Quaker Chewy Dips Granola Bars (damn those chocolate covered bits of heaven, damn them all to hell!).
SO, here we are on Day 1 of my 30 Day Writing Challenge, and I’m feeling energized and ready to go already!
Today’s prompt is pretty simple: List 10 things that make you really happy.
That should be pretty easy to accomplish on a Friday afternoon with a belly full of chocolate covered granola bars, right?!
So here goes nothing….
10 Things That Make Me Really Happy:
- Les Mills Group Fitness Classes
- Surprised? Of course not! Les Mills takes top spot immediately and without hesitation. Whether it’s one of my own classes, or I’m participating in someone else’s class, I don’t think that I’ve ever walked out of a Les Mills class not glowing from the inside out. More than “making me happy”, Les Mills taught me what real and true happiness and passion feels like. For more on my epic love story with Les Mills, check out here, here, here or here!
- Because, well, look at him! What a cutie!
- My kitty cat Blake
- Few things make my heart swoon like the sight of my little furball trotting to meet me. Especially while wearing a tuxedo collar.
- Spending time with my family
- We’ve always been a close knit family, and I feel like in recent years we’ve only gotten closer since the whole cancer debaucle. Spending time together continues to be a huge source of joy.
- Finding the perfect pair of shoes for my size 10 wide feet
- It’s been a struggle since my canoe feet stopped growing when I was 10 years old, and still to this day my heart sings when I find a pair of comfortable shoes that look half decent. Normally I buy at least two pairs in multiple colours, or sometimes the same….’cause ya know….
- Going to bed and not setting an alarm for the morning
- Call me a teenager, but I love to sleep, and don’t get enough of it on a regular basis. Few things in this world give me a more joy than going to bed when I don’t have to set an alarm in the morning.
- Finding (and purchasing) a beautiful new notebook and writing in it
- Ah beautiful notebooks. How I love thee. I love the efficiency of writing online, but it’s just not the same level of satisfaction as writing neatly in a crisp, beautifully covered notebook. Just thinking about it makes me want to take a jaunt over to Chapters and buy one. Totally guilty of buying new notebooks all the time and not filling them with anything.
- The perfect cheeseburger
- This one had to make the list because, well, cheeseburgers would be my last meal request if I was going to kick the can. The perfect cheeseburger is: big (I mean BIG, preferably two patties), well done but juicy, covered in gooey, melty cheese, simply topped with mayonnaise (yes, mayonnaise) and lettuce, served on a plain bun served with crispy fries. Ahh heaven. Except for the guilt. Damn the guilt.
- When things go according to plan
- This doesn’t seem to happen all that often, which is totally maddening for someone like me, who loves to plan and organize, so when things do according to best laid plans, man does it ever feel good!
- Doing work that I feel makes a difference in the world
- I’ve felt since I started working like a huge gap in my career is that I know from so many different personality tests that doing work that I see as “important” or “meaningful” to the world is a huge part of career satisfaction for me. Unfortunately, in the career that I’m in, I often feel like the only real purpose that I’m serving is to make old white guys more rich and more powerful. It’s a sweet, sweet feeling when I do get involved in projects that I feel great about. I hope that one day I can find the courage to pursue something like that full time.